July is here and, with that, the annual tilting at the rings festival in Sonderborg. The first day I ever visited Sonderborg, long before I had any plans to move here, we had stumbled across this festival. It was a great event and one which I was looking forward to repeat once we moved here.
Tilting at the Rings, or Ringridning, is an extended-weekend celebration of tilting at the rings and all that goes with it. There is loads going on, and you probably can’t be everywhere all the time. So what should you make sure you don’s miss? These are my personal highlights:
- Tilting competition at the ringridning grounds: Every day. Finals and crowning on Sunday (start around 16:45)
- Concert at the town hall square. Highly entertaining! Be there early for a good spot. Saturday at 11:00.
- Visit Ringridning Museum. A real gem.
- Concert and start of the cavalcade from Sonderborg castle: Friday and Sunday morning at 10:50
- Historic tilting at the rings, by Sonderborg Castle: Saturday at 13:00. Also every Tuesday throughout the summer.
There are also a number of events that have caught my eye that I haven’t as yet seen:
- Combined tour of the city and tilting grounds. Friday and Sunday at 12:00
- Fireworks competition: Friday at 23:00
- Light tattoo and fireworks. Monday from 21:00.
Other than that, just enjoy the atmosphere in town and at the ringridning grounds. Enjoy!